Monday, May 6, 2013

Jimmy Darksand Band Stallion of Sand Wash Basin HMA #410

"Jimmy Darksand"
5 by 7 inches  Graphite on Paper
by Linda L Martin Artist
Original $75.00
in-house signed prints $35.00each
How Jimmy Darksand Got His Name:

I suppose that more than a few people know that I was the one who named Jimmy for the population counts and to track the horses at Sand Wash Basin HMA. I thought you all might like to know the story behind the name. I have never shared it until now.

One day In 2010,  on the Sand Wash Basin Wild Horses page  in Facebook that Nancy Roberts started, she invited who ever happened to be around that day to help name this particular stallion.

Well, as I was looking through the  photos of  him.  I thought he always seems so dusty and sandy,  He was almost the  color of dark sand. And the way he moved reminded me of my horse loving cowboy boyfriend from high school. So I suggested the name Jimmy Darksand to Nancy Roberts for the purposes of documenting the wild horses there. 

At that time there was just over 300 people following the wild horses of the Sand Wash Basin Range on Facebook.  Each day I couldn’t wait to rush in and see the new foals, hear of the exploits.  When she agreed to the name, I was thrilled. And now I had a personal connection to the horses there.  Each day I was thrilled to hear reports of how Jimmy was doing. I looked forward to  hearing  if anyone had a new sighting of my boy, Jimmy. Of course by that time I already knew that I was connected to him in my heart.


I am eventually going to paint a painting of Jimmy and Barbie, his one beautiful gray mare, together. I will share the rest of Jimmy's story with you when I  paint the painting.I’ve been planning it for over a year.

But for right now enjoy this simple graphite of my boy, Jimmy. As many of you know he was humanely destroyed after breaking a leg on the last weekend of April. 


A special thanks to Sally Wright for the Reference photo of Jimmy Darksand.

No comments:

Post a Comment