Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Mustang A Day Challenge Painting #252 Happy Mustang Boomer


Jan Herendeen's Boomer

Boomer as a Youngster
4 by 6 inches Watercolor
by Linda L Martin Artist
$35.00
 In Jan's own words:
"I named my colt Boomer.  He was quick to learn that I was his friend.  In the next several years, I attended several colt starting clinics in the area by Buck Brannaman and Bryan Neubert.   I have attended colt clinics before, but didn't pay close attention to the colt class; I didn't think I would ever start a horse of my own.  I also read everything on training and working with wild horses that I could find.  After watching some of the experts work with colts, I had a better idea of what I wanted from mine.  Boomer is a willing student; he has never kicked or struck at me with his feet.  He never attempted to use his mouth in aggression towards me.  I have been very careful to never give my horse a reason to feel like he must defend himself from me.  When Boomer was a year old, he was gelded.  He trusted me enough to let me bathe the inside of his hind legs for a week after surgery without a flinch. 

It wasn't long before Boomer was leading, backing, side passing, picking up all four feet and standing tied.  Flags, tarps and saddle came next.   When it was finally time to take our first ride, he took it all in stride. 
As for me, I couldn't hold back the tears.
Mustangs have so much to give to you, once you earn their trust. It is an honor to be trusted by an animal that at one time had so much fear.  I am very guarded about that trust and I feel that I have a great responsibility to make sure that anyone else that handles my horse, never ever betrays the trust he has put in me.

Boomer was captured in McCullough Peaks Herd Management Area, east of Cody Wy.  I live about an hour from there.  Because I live so close, I started searching for pictures of him prior to his capture.  After a 2 year search I finally found someone who had taken pictures of Boomer with his mother before he was captured.  Boomer's mother turned out to be a very distinct black and white pinto.  Knowing who his mother was, I was able to find the stallion she was with a year before he was born.  This horse is probably Boomer's sire.  I found a photograph in a book about Mustangs with Boomer's mother as a yearling with his grandmother.  After contacting the photographer, I found a picture of Boomer's Uncle, the younger brother of his mother.  I never thought there would be a traceable family tree on a mustang....but sometimes there is.  It has been an amazing journey."

No comments:

Post a Comment